This survey is being conducted on behalf of the University of New South Wales and the National Centre for Immunisation Research and Surveillance from McNair Research. We are conducting a whooping cough research project with 45 and Up Study participants. Respondents were sent a questionnaire for this research project – and this telephone survey is being conducted amongst people who have not returned a completed form.
In order to participate in this research, you will be asked to consent to a number of items – relating to confidentiality, because the information that you give may be linked to other data and we would like permission to contact your GP for additional information. You should have received information about this study at the beginning of the year, and again in August.
The reports and publications will be based on de-identified information and will not identify any individual taking part.
Participation in this research project is entirely voluntary and your consent will continue to be valid following death or loss of decision-making capacity unless withdrawn by your next of kin or other person responsible.
You can withdraw from this research project at any time without any effect on healthcare that you need or receive now or in the future and without affecting your relationships with the researchers and the Sax Institute.
If you need to stop the interview at any time, just let the interviewer know, and they can stop and call you back at a time of your convenience.
This call will be recorded for quality assurance purposes. I will run through the consent questions now, and that recording will form your verbal consent to the study.
Consent to taking part in the research project shows your agreement to:
- The Sax Institute providing information from this questionnaire to the research project team.
- The research project team and the 45 and Up Study combining information that you provide in this survey with information you have already given to the 45 and Up Study, and to health and other records.
- The information you provide will be stored long-term and used for health-related research.
- The Sax Institute will contact your doctor to check some of the details you provide.
- Your doctor will be advised that you have given permission for them to provide your personal health information to the research project team about whether you have had whooping cough or a similar illness and immunisations you have received.
- Your information will only be used for the purposes described in the leaflet titled ‘Adult Whooping Cough Study – Information for Participants’ of which you have a copy.
- And that your information will be kept strictly confidential and will be used for health research only.
For more information on the Study please see the participant information brochure below:
Adult Whooping Cough Study information brochure (Link to https://www.saxinstitute.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Adult-Whooping-Cough-Study-information-brochure.pdf )
Who is the 45 and Up Study?
The 45 and Up Study is the largest population-based program of health-related research ever conducted in Australia. More than 267,000 people aged 45 and over are part of the Study and are being followed over time through routine follow-up questionnaires and linkage to health and other records.
The 45 and Up Study has been approved by the University of New South Wales Research Ethics Committee.
Contact the 45 and Up Study
For any questions, comments or complaints about the 45 and Up Study or this research project, to withdraw consent for participation, or for further communication, please contact the 45 and Up Study by:
Telephone: 1300 45 11 45 (toll-free Study info-line)
In writing, addressing your correspondence to:
Professor Emily Banks, Scientific Director
The 45 and Up Study
GPO Box 5289, Sydney NSW 2001