McNair yellowSquares Privacy Statement
McNair yellowSquares Pty Ltd respects and upholds your rights under the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (“Privacy Act”). McNair yellowSquares also adheres to the Privacy (Market and Social Research) Code 2014 (“Code”).
For more information about the Privacy Act, the Australian Privacy Principles and the Code click here.
McNair yellowSquares Pty Ltd is Australian owned and operated.
How you get selected to participate in research
You may be selected to participate in research through one of these methods:
- A random selection by telephone, using the white pages or other telephone listing;
- A random approach in a public space;
- A commercially available marketing database;
- A contact list provided by one of our clients. In this case we will tell you which client has provided your contact details. We will have been given your contact details by our client solely for the purpose of the research we are conducting.
You will always be told which one of these methods has been used to select you to be invited to participate in the research.
Your identity and contact information is kept in a high security database that cannot be accessed from the Internet, and is only used for our own quality control checks. Your identity is never passed on to clients for marketing purposes – in fact, unless you are already a customer of our clients (and you give us permission), your identity is never divulged to our clients – and never divulged to any other organisations. The security of our records is audited every year to ensure compliance with ISO 20252:2019, the International Standard for Market and Social Research.
Identified data – your rights
McNair yellowSquares may retain the responses to surveys in association with your contact details in case we need to check the information, and so that we can verify the quality and professionalism of our interviewers.
Your contact details may be kept in association with responses you have given us if you have agreed to participate in related follow-up research.
All information stored at McNair yellowSquares is kept in a secure database, protected by:
- Password limited access to the database;
- No information is stored via the Internet;
- No identified information is processed or stored outside of our office in Crows Nest, NSW.
If McNair yellowSquares holds identified data about you – that is, the answers you have given to a survey – in association with your contact details, you can contact us to request:
- Access to any information held that is associated with your identity;
- Request to have any information associated with you changed or updated;
- Request to have any information associated with you to be deleted.
You can do this by contacting our Privacy Officer by telephone on 1800 669 133 or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
When providing personal information you have the option of remaining anonymous or use a pseudonym to be identified by. However, in certain circumstances, such as where we receive your contact details from a third party or where the research data itself may potentially allow for identification, this may not be practicable.
Ways in which information is recorded
- All survey data is stored in the form of secure electronic databases.
- A selection of telephone interviews are recorded for quality control purposes.
- Focus groups and in-person interviews may be audio and/or video recorded or watched live. In these cases you will be advised of this prior to the interview or focus group. Clients provided with audio or video recordings or who are permitted to watch an interview or focus group are not provided with the identity of the participants.
What personal information McNair yellowSquares may collect
McNair yellowSquares may ask you questions about:
- How you have used products and services – both those that you purchase, or others provided at no cost by the government or media; and
- Your attitudes and opinions related to commercial and free products and services.
What sensitive information McNair yellowSquares may collect
McNair yellowSquares only collects sensitive information about topics such as your political views, faith or health when this is necessary for the purposes of our clients’ research objectives, with your consent and if this meets the following ethical guidelines:
- The research is clearly for the purpose of providing or improving a public service, such as health or social service; or
The research is clearly for the purposes of assisting an organisation provide a positive non-commercial outcome – such as a radio program that meets the needs of certain communities.
Identifying our clients
McNair yellowSquares will always advise you who our client is for any research you are invited to participate in. In some cases we may not be able to advise you who our client is until the end of the survey in order to ensure that the answers that you give are not influenced by who our client is.
In this policy “personal information” has the same meaning as under the Privacy Act.
Privacy Amendment (Notifiable Data Breaches) Act 2017
McNair yellowSquares will take reasonable steps under the Privacy Act, to secure personal information. Should a data breach involving personal information occur:
- McNair will take positive steps to address the breach in a timely manner and take remedial action such that the data breach does not result in serious harm.
- McNair will undertake reasonable and expeditious assessment to determine if it is an ‘eligible data breach’, that is a breach likely to result in serious harm to any individual affected.
In compliance with Privacy Amendment (Notifiable Data Breaches) Act 2017, McNair yellowSquares agree that if they become aware of an eligible data breach has occurred they will promptly notify the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner and the affected individuals at likely risk of serious harm.